Thursday, March 13, 2014

Uphill

This morning I found a new route to work. I am embarrassed to say that I am currently living with my folks. They live near the intersection of Park and Fleur. I have been riding my bike through Gray's Lake each morning. Last night I looked at a map and found that I could take the 7th Street bridge across the river and into downtown. The ride was cold this morning. Thirty-four degrees, but I am finding that the temperature isn't really that bad at all once you get moving. I wear my winter coat, and my helmet is ridiculously hot. I think with some long underwear I could ride my bike on the coldest days of the year. It's like anything, you just have to start doing it.

The ride home has hills, not giants, but there is a point where you reach the top of a hill and turn a corner to find yourself at the bottom of a different hill. There are few things more disheartening than this, not soul shaking or depressing, just a grinding sort of disheartening.

I like going up hills though. There is some masochistic part of me that loves pedaling up a big old hill. I do not like going down hills. Gentle inclines yes, but I do not like steep downhills. I don't feel in control, and any second there could be a crack or a rock that appears in front of my tire and I might crash.

My brakes are just about shot because of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment